• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Difficulties post-avionics installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGFYankee

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Picked up my aircraft from the avionics shop last week!! Here is a photo of my panel after the recent avionics install:

a7b2e662-def2-4859-a1d9-796bba2f8cc7.jpg

I've come out on the other side with the GMA340 audio panel, GTN650 GPS/NAV/COM (with FlightStream 510), MX170, GTX345, and a docked 795 to act as a MFD for the GTN650 & GTX345 combo.

Overall, I've been happy with what I've received...even had an opportunity to fly a GPS approach all the way down to just above minimums. However, I've experienced a couple of glitches, some I would like to see if any others have encountered. They are as follows:

1) Problem: Flightplan data is not being transferred from the GTN650 to the 795.
Solution: The shop did not include the necessary wire between the GTN650 and the 795; have already contacted the shop and I will be returning to have this remedied.

2) Problem: Heading hold on the autopilot not functioning post-installation.
Solution: Unknown; have already contacted the shop and I will be returning to have this remedied.

3) Problem: No TIS-B data being provided to the 795 from the GTX345.
Solution: GTX345 not configured for ADS-B in via UAT or 1090; downloaded installation manual and have fixed this issue.

4) Problem: iPad can be connected to FlightStream 510 via wifi and Bluetooth, and can also be connected to the GTX345 via Bluetooth; however, while in Foreflight and Garmin Pilot both, weather will not be transmitted nor will towers be detected unless Bluetooth connection is severed from the Flightstream 510 leaving only the GTX345. This is not ideal since I lose the ability to wirelessly transmit flight plan data from the iPad to the GTN650 in this configuration. Traffic is detected in both configurations.
Solution: Unknown; Not even sure where to start on this one. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

5) Problem: While transmitting over COM1, feedback is heard in my headphones unless the mic is extremely close to my mouth (almost inside of it!). Unsure if problem appears on COM2...just forgot to try it.
Solution: Unknown; paged through the GMA340 pilot guide with no success. Have searched through the GTN650 manual, but it is almost 400 pages long with no reference to feedback. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

6) Problem: Upon restoring power after a shut-down, the MX170 experiences a loss of previously used frequency data, i.e. the frequencies just being used are wiped in favor of default frequencies.
Solution: Unknown; it did not do this before...anyone got any ideas?

I'll be heading back over to the shop just as soon as they can fit me in. I know they are super busy, and agreed to work with their schedule since they are not far away and I'm usually fairly flexible. Just attempting to solve what I can on my own. Any thoughts on these issues are appreciated...thanks!

Latest posts

Back