• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Considering Hoerner wing & stabilator tips - real-world feedback?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voretaq7

Reaction score
Hi all,

With my training finally approaching completion (checkride Tuesday - gulp) I'm getting ready to get the Cherokee (180 C) painted this winter as a reward for putting up with everything I've put her through. As part of that I'm planning to replace the stock wing & stabilator tips and would appreciate some feedback on the relative merits of the different tip styles.

I'm pretty much sold on Hoerner style tips for aesthetic reasons as much as the claimed performance improvements - the round tips never looked "right" to me. There seem to be two slightly different styles available: the first is the regular Hoerner-style tip, and the other is a Hoerner tip with an upswept trailing edge.
There isn't much of a price difference between the two, and both look pretty nice to my eye, so I was hoping someone could weigh in on the relative aerodynamic merits of the two designs, and maybe some real-world experience with them.

There only seems to be one style of modified stabilator tips and I've seen a lot of people on the internet singing their praises when it comes to low-speed stabilator authority, so I'm inclined to put those on as well (they seem to have the upswept trailing edge, so all things being equal that would decide the wingtip choice for aesthetic reasons).

I'm also open to other suggestions for mods (or maintenance items) that I should consider while the plane is disassembled for painting. I plan on having the plane actually weighed after the paint job, so I'd like to knock out some of the stuff that would affect W&B now rather than having the shop do math for it later.

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back