• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee 235 for first aircraft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdowell

Reaction score
I know there’s a similar thread in the archives as I have read it from cover to cover, but I want to ask the same question with some different variables. So here’s the whole deal.
I grew up flying with my dad in Cherokees and Beeches. I left flying 30 years ago to go to school and never finished my PPL. I decided earlier this year after selling one of my businesses that I was going to get my license, along with complex, high performance, instrument, and multi-engine. So now I’m pushing through my private. In the process, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on what, after extensive research, looks to me, and the pre-buy shop, to be a good deal on a 1970 Cherokee 235D. I went with the 235, because I have a kid in military school 200 miles from home, I have another one who lives at home and is a highschool football player, the 3rd is a college basketball player, and last, but not least is the happy surprise that showed up 10 years ago. We have a big family, and all of my boys are athletes, so I needed to hauling capacity. This, the 1400lb load on the 235. The particular 235 I am buying has a constant speed prop, is this going to be an issue for a low time pilot? Or am I going to be renting the local FBOs 182 for 6 months while I spend some more time learning with the instructor? Also, in general, what are your thoughts on the 235 as a first airplane??

Thanks for any info guys!!

Latest posts

Back