• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee 180C vs brand spanking new 172

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLL

Reaction score
I participated in the Big Muddy Sport Racing League air race a couple of weeks ago. My friend in his Cherokee 180 could not make it. A bummer, since he beat me last year and I wanted revenge. But at the last minutes a Cessna 172- new 2017 model on loan for Cessna to the Southern Illinois Univ aviation program- made the race. Flown by two flight instructors. Summary. I beat the with my 180C (not completely stock, I've got Metco tips and the full set of gap seals. This is a Cherokee. Thus I hate to call them speed mods. ). And the Cessna did not have any wheel pants. Avg speed for me was 141.5 mph. Cessna 140. Maybe I cut the corners better than the Cessna. I was directly behind then. But still at the end of the day, nice that my 50+ year old plane holds its own against modern planes.

Last year at the race I did not fly full throttle. Was about 10 mph slower. Was full out this time pretty much 2700 rpm the whole race. Impressed by my little Cherokee. But it may cost me. May need the Laminar wheel pants upgrade for next year.....

Being more serious- my dream plane has always been a Bonanza. But in reality for my mission my Cherokee is getting pretty tough you beat. Useful load is great, fly it right the speed is adequate. Maintenance and insurance is down right affordable. And I got lucky by getting a plane that was well cared fore and is in great shape (and found by posting on this forum). My first plane may be my last plane.

Latest posts

Back