• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Change the can or overhaul?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fellow forum members,
I have come across a decision that I thought would be easy but now has me questioning my initial inclination.

It seems as if my cam will soon give way and my original thought was to just rebuild the engine (0-540, 700-ish SMOH, 350-ish since lycoming replaced the crank ~10 years ago).

Is it any better/more efficient to split the case and replace the cam or just go ahead and rebuild?

As for the engine: it makes fantastic power and runs great. My oil analysis has shown elevated levels of copper for a bit and so my mechanic sent one of my oil filters to lycoming for a look-see. They reported metals consistent with cam and tappet wear. At annual this weekend we pulled a jug and sure enough the cam had some decent wear.... So I figured we would send the engine off for a rebuild but my mechanic is interested in just sending it off for a cam replacement.

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Latest posts

Back