• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Blower motor...stay or go

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So as an ongoing part of “should have quit while he was ahead”, I removed the rear bulkhead on my TA3 today, so I can access the antennae. The plan is to re-string the old RG58 with RG400 for my much more modern radios....but now would also be a great time to replace that 121.5 ELT...yeah...

So anyways...

to take off the rear bulkhead, I had to disconnect (read: trash) the connection to the blower motor setup. The hoses to the
Motor are old and crunchy, with the support wires long since rusted into oblivion. The hoses aren’t terribly expensive, but I wonder...

Does this thing do any good, and should it just come out?

I’m in Arizona, where nothing short of AC really gets it done when it’s hot. Popping a door and the vent windows is standard fare while taxiing...and that just keeps -hot- air blowing over you while on the ground. The blower motor won’t route any special air onto me or my pax when it’s hot enough to care.

since the plane does have the rudimentary overhead ductwork, I can see re-plumbing it tie into one of those ice cooler fans for the summer. That would improve the distribution of the cooler air when it counts.

I searched for previous discussions on this, and most seems to be “it’s fairly useless.” Might this be the time to make it go away and safe some weight? We’re planning to re-weigh after all of this madness anyways.
1618516434287.jpeg

Latest posts

Back