• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Black box choices = Confusion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadadamsiii

Reaction score
I have an old school IFR capable Challenger. Steam gauges everywhere. No ADS-b equipment. kx-155 and mx-170c TKM nav-coms which work well. KI-209 glide slope indicator and another old king vor indicator. I use Foreflight on an Ipad and I would like to stick with Foreflight. Initially I thought the Ipad with a Stratus ESGi would be my hot ticket to the new age. Now as I look at continuing on to an instrument rating I see GPS approaches are taking over and VOR's being decommissioned. The writing is on the wall. Get GPS equipment. Now like everyone else I have to admit to having sticker shock at the idea of buying a 10 year or older 430W with what I see as really small screen and questionable reliability and continued support from Garmin. I understand there are a lot of Garmin loyalists out there but I am not one. I'm not in love with their business model and I find most of their equipment far from intuitive. I am just wondering if there are alternatives out there to certified GPS in the cockpit that can integrate with the Ipad/Foreflight combination without costing me more than half the value of my airplane? Maybe the Stratus and an alternate black box I have never heard of?? Maybe Garmin just has the darn market cornered and were all in the same boat. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back