• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Battery, Alternator, VR or HV Relay. What is your bet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DugK

Reaction score
Here is the scenario.
Doing run-up for a short flight around sunset in 61 Comanche with Alternator conversion. During run-up I noticed that Alternator had tripped off-line as load meter was showing a discharge.
Turning Alternator switch off and on would not bring alternator back up.
Turned off Avionics master, and cycled master switch, Alternator switch and alternator came back alive. Turned Avionics and lights back on and load meter showing normal charge. Completed run-up everything checked fine. Took off and looked at load meter after gear up and showed that Alternator had gone off-line again. Came back and landed, running gear down with battery ok.
Prior to shut down, I turned off Avionics, cycled master again and Alternator came back on line and charged battery.
My bet is bad (InterAv) voltage regulator. My reasoning is: High Voltage relay seems to be working in shutting down the field and it is not stuck open or closed, Battery had no problem in handling the start and gear cycle and the Alternator works fine once the VR has been recycled.
If you were placing a bet would you say the Voltage Regulator is highly suspect or am I missing something about the operation of the charging system?
Doug
PS. All wiring connections seem to be tight and good.

Latest posts

Back