• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Avionics power/reset problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertNomad

Reaction score
I have two avionics master switches: the main one which I use every time I fly and an aux switch which I believe is connected in parallel. I do nt use the aux switch as it is meant as a backup if the main one fails.

For the past couple months, when I turn on the avionics master, sometimes nothing happens and I have to turn it off and back on. Oddly, seems to be affected by altitude. It did not do it much (if any) on our trip to Cuba when we were east of Texas. Today it did it in Reno (4415') but not in Watsonville (163').

Something new happened today though:

After flying 2 hours back to Reno from Watsonville, I parked on the east side to get fuel. After fueling, I started. I had to flip the avionics switch twice since the first time it did not turn on (which as noted above has been happening). After it was on and the 530W booted, I called ground to taxi to my hangar on the west side.

As soon as I hit the transmit button, my avionics reset. By that I mean, they briefly turned off and back on. Could this be related to the switch? Perhaps the power draw, being higher when transmitting, was too much for it?

After everything rebooted, it was fine. We don't have an avionics shop here... I get mine done in Portland, Oregon, 400 miles away. There is a shop at Stead, 10 miles away but most people I know will not them touch their planes.

Any ideas on if this is a bad switch and if the power cycle when I transmitted could be related? Also, any idea on how this could be at all related to altitude?

Latest posts

Back