• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Avidyne

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyguydon

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting
Reaction score
I realize some of you love the Avidyne 440, 540, and 550. They sure are great. They are nice and have great features. This is not about that.

I recently put one in a buddy's project 6. It functioned nicely and even though I am more familiar with Garmin stuff, a little more exposure would surely get me where I could see all the neat things. It has all the remote transponder, Skytrax 100, bluetooth, etc peripherals. Nice!

FYI-

With about 10 hours on it, it failed and would not get beyond the splash screen. Right about when the plane was about to go home. (just what I needed)

Anyway. I have had to call various manufacturers for help. JPI is GREAT. ECI is GREAT. Garmin is pretty good.

A call to Avidyne takes you to a prompt as to where you are calling from and then to a VM from "somebody" somewhere. Leaving me hanging over a weekend, I called again Monday and had to go to sales to get a real person. I told them I did not care if I were East Coast or West... I wanted a tech person to discuss this with. 2 hours later I got a call. This resulted in a handful of suggestions that did nothing to fix it.

Being brand new, we wanted an exchange unit right away. They said no. Had me overnight the thing to them in Melbourne, FL. OK. Turn it quick and send it back.

It has been a week and a half and now I am back to the freaking VM prompts waiting for a call back to tell me what to expect. No calls. No VM. No text. No emails. Nothing.

And now my buddy is understandably concerned about this.
Oh, and Avidyne said they will not talk to him. Just me. We had a nice challenge with Vantage Plane Plastics, and when he was thinking this could not be real... at least Vantage talked to him where he found out I was not kidding about the challenges and they really were beyond comprehension.

The units have very nice features... but as far as this situation goes... I am not real impressed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back