• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Autocontrol III complete for sale

zn105

Reaction score
Piper Autocontrol III with everything. NEW: servo mount, complete wiring harness, servo 1C363-1-183R. WITH 8130: 1C338-2 controller. SERVICIBLE AS REMOVED: Attitude Gyro PN 52D66, 1C388-2 radio coupler, no STC needed! The 1C388-2 radio coupler is able to feed heading and course information to the new Garmin G5 unlike other couplers that only provide heading. Mount is # 7C511-2 for PA-28R-200 and -180 but all other parts are used on many models.

PM or email for more info Asking $2895 OBO

Patrick

Last edited:

jpwamt

Reaction score
Could you use the a G5 as a Attitude indicator or do you need the one the drives the auto pilot? I currently dont have G5 but want them some day. And this would be a easy upgrade from my current wing leveler in my Arrow II

zn105

Reaction score
Currently the G5 does not provide attitude info to the Century autopilots or anything but their autopilots. You would need the 52D66 gyro that is included here. Maybe someday they will though. They are adding features here and there.

jpwamt

Reaction score
Sorry if I would have to have an older AI to drive the autopilot along with the dual G5s I want some day. I'm not interested.

zn105

Reaction score
The way I look at it is that I have a vacuum and electrical AI which is a nice redundancy.

sierrakilo99

Reaction score
The Mitchell 52D66 attitude gyro is a vacuum driven instrument, not electrical.

According to Garmin, the G5 can be coupled to this system in the HSI slot, but not in the AI slot, so in this case, there is still no 'redundancy' since if you lose the vacuum system, then the aircraft will roll according to how the AI starts to precess when the vacuum drops off. The A/P will still put you out of control in IMC when the vacuum pump fails.

sk

zn105

Reaction score
We are discussing dual G5, one HSI and one AI, and redundant AI not redundant autopilot control. But thank you.

Patrick Morris

President
EAA Chapter 602
|

sierrakilo99

Reaction score
Understood your 'redundant AI' comment, my comments were to point out the limitations of attempting to interface the Autocontrol III with the Garmin G5 products. It can be done but it has limitations that need to be understood, since most people use the autopilot for IFR flying.

sk