• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Arrow IV - S-TEC a/p STC restricted to later s/n airframes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourSeven

Reaction score
Greetings fellow Piper owners,

I own an Arrow IV (NA) fitted with a Piper AutoControl IIIb. Sadly, this no longer works and my shop (who admittedly are not experts in antique analog autopilots) have advised that it's not worth spending money on.

Over the weekend, I thought I would spend a happy hour or so virtual-window shopping for a new autopilot. My initial thoughts turned to additional features I would like - notably alt-hold and approach modes. Having got myself excited, I started looking at practicalities like STCs.

S-TEC/Genesys seem to have the widest range of STCs and an autopilot I like the look of (55X) but when it comes to the Arrow IV, there is a gotcha. All of the S-TEC options for the Arrow IV come with the following caveat...

Eligible only on:
Piper Model PA-28RT-201, S/N 28R-7918070 and up and
Model PA-28RT-201T, S/N 28R-7931100 and up​

My serial number falls outside this range. I'm wondering what could be so different with the first 69 Arrow IVs that the STC is not applicable? Anyone here know? I have asked S-TEC for comment, but have yet to hear from them.

I am also interested in hearing about alternative autopilot suggestions that work well with the Arrow IV and (ideally) don't cost more than the aircraft.

Any advice gratefully received.

Latest posts

Back