• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Arrow III repair work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rspall

Reaction score
Folk,

I originally posted this in the general forum, and then realized it is probably better in this one - Sorry!

I am looking at a used 1977, Arrow III, and trying to understand how this repair (10 years ago) could potentially affect value / safety?

Copied direct from technical logs:

"Stop drilled the crack in the Right wing nose rib assembly as needed, fabricated and installed a "L" doubler on the right wing nose rib assembly on the lower leg at station 36.92 right by riveting, the doubler is approximately 3.4 inches long, 0.7 inches wide on the lower bend and 1.0 inches wide on the upper bend. This repair was done in reference with AC 43-13-1B Chapter 4, section 4"

Having looked over the aircraft, I am not even sure how a mechanic could even gain access to make or to inspect this repair - Station 36.92 looks like it is under the "wing walk" where the pilot / passenger enters the aircraft. The log book entry doesn't mention removing skin or panels, or making access holes!

Anyone know what would cause damage like this, and how it would even be identified for repair during an annual - i.e. what symptom would make an aircraft mechanic realise that this needed to be fixed?

Is this the 'soft wing walk' problem I have seen discussed in this forum, and is this a legitimate long term / permanent fix?

Latest posts

Back