• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Arrow Firewall Forward Done!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epopper

Reaction score
Last November, I discovered a sheared stud on the number 2 cylinder on the engine of my Arrow. My mechanic removed the cylinder and we discovered cracks in the crankcase through another cylinder stud. The engine only had 350 hours since overhaul. The overhaul was done at a maintenance shop and we believe that the cylinder studs were not torqued properly, which lead to the issues. Also, upon disassembly, we discovered pitted lifters and fretting of the crankcase halves. The overhaul was poor at best and has opened my eyes to so called "spray paint" overhauls. BTW, the engine log reflected what appeared to be a thorough overhaul, using appropriate vendors for the case and crankshaft and noting applicable AD's. The problem was likely due to a lack of precision and attention to detail during the reassembly.

I had a custom engine shop in the Chicago area do the overhaul and man it turned out nice. In the end, I either replaced or overhauled everything forward of the firewall including the engine mount, baffles, mags, and all hoses.

As I showed in another thread, I used a company called Lycon to CNC a groove in the crankcase flange and use a rubber gasket for a seal versus silk thread.

I also took the opportunity to strip some awful flat black paint of of the firewall. This took about 12 hours with a toothbrush and acetone and MEK.

The engine mount was original and likely had never been removed from the aircraft. The mount needed 18 of 22 tubes replaced.

Of course, the only thing left untouched was the propeller governor. It leaked oil prior to the overhaul and I thought it was from the case gasket. It still leaks and it appears to be from one of the other seals on the governor. It comes off soon for a reseal...

Eric

Photos:

IMG_6757.jpg

IMG_6763.jpg

IMG_6830.jpg

IMG_6831.jpg

IMG_6845.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

IMG_7278.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_7356.jpg

IMG_7386.jpg