• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Another Panel Upgrade Thread - Add WAAS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdfrey1

Reaction score
So, I'm starting to really feel like I want a WAAS capable GPS in my airplane. When I completed my instrument rating a couple of years ago I felt that my personal minimums were higher than any non-precision approach so I felt good about my current equipment. However, I really like the idea of having vertical guidance and more approach options. So, I have a couple of ideas that I wanted to get some opinions on. Attached you will see a picture of the panel in my 1979 Piper Archer. Here is what I'm considering:

Option 1 - Simply upgrade the Garmin 430 to a 430W and keep everything else the same. I know I will also need a new CDI as my current CDI doesn't have the GPS indicators. The Collins radio still works great but my #2 CDI doesn't have a glideslope.

Option 2 - Remove the Collins NAV/Comm that is my NAV2 and move the Garmin 430 down. Add a new Garmin GTN650 or 430W. Any suggestions on which route to take or if there is something else I should be considering?

Additional - I currently have the Piper Autocontrol IIIB that works quite well and is coupled to both NAV/Comms via a switch. I would like to add altitude hold and have roll steering ability so I can fly fully coupled approaches. What are my options and estimated prices to do this economically?

I know there are a lot of other upgrade options such as an Aspen but honestly I'm not really interested in replacing my steam gauges. Any direction on my upgrade options and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have some guidance on directionally how much each of these options would cost me I'd appreciate it.

N2893Zb.jpg

Latest posts

Back