• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aneroid Altimeter vs Foreflight/GPS... Big discrepancy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocRocket

Reaction score
I'm a quite new pilot (just passed my checkride 1 month ago, 140 total hours). I'm flying a club airplane for most of my air time, a PA-28-236 Dakota, which recently passed its annual but is an old airplane with old avionics.

On my recent flights at or above 8000 MSL I've noticed a significant discrepancy between my aneroid (panel) altimeter and my GPS altitude as indicated on my iPad Foreflight app. Today, for example, I was cruising at 10,500 MSL by my panel altimeter, but my iPad said my altitude by GPS was 11, 200 MSL. My altimeter settings were checked prior to takeoff by AWOS and corrected by ATC for my location shortly prior to noting this discrepancy on my kneeboard, so it's not an input error on my end.

This has me wondering, which altitude is more likely to be true, and what should I do about it?

As I'm flying VFR and expecting other VFR traffic to be following the even/odd +500 rule for cruise altitude, a discrepancy of over 500 feet makes me wonder if I'm going to run into (literally!) traffic expecting me to be 700 feet lower or higher than I truly am...

Any insights on this issue?

Latest posts

Back