• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Altimeter error - water in system?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajett54

Reaction score
A little over a week ago I had a Uavionix AV-30-C installed in my Arrow II. On the trip back from Florida to Indiana I was in the clouds and rain quite a bit. I used pitot heat for most of the time spent in the clouds but did forget for about a 20 minute period. At some point during the trip ATC began questioning my altitude as it was off by a few hundred feet. My primary altimeter is the analog one and I had the altimeter setting correct. ATC eventually had me stop squawking altitude. I checked in later with other controllers and got the same feedback. I also noticed that my airspeed was fluctuating very slightly. Note: my Aspen and AV-30 seemed to be working properly. Yesterday I went for a test flight. Before the flight I set the barometric pressure in the altimeter and the indicated altitude differed from the field elevation by more that 75 feet. While in the air, I asked ATC to state my reported altitude and it matched my analog altimeter. Another note: I think I have a blind encoder but am going to the airport this morning to double check. Everything seems to point to a problem with my analog altimeter and I’m wondering if water in the system could be the culprit. I’m supposed to fly from Indiana to Texas on Thursday so need to get this resolved quickly. Any experience and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back