• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

An instrument ticket at 70?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomhurley

Reaction score
There is a famous poem that says “take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.”

I earned my private ticket when I was 51 and now have 19 years and 1700 hours under my belt. A few years ago I bought a well appointed Arrow and toyed with the idea of getting an instrument ticket. But then I thought of the line above and resigned myself to just be content and dream about what could have been.

But a year ago I said, no dammit, I still feel good and I’m gonna give it a try. The written, the oral and the practical test was as hard as anything I’d ever attempted. And I graduated from three colleges and built a couple of companies along the way.

So, I’m happy to report that I passed the Instrument check ride this morning and now hold an instrument ticket for the first time at age 70.

I’ll remember today as vividly as I remember the day I soloed and the day I got my ticket back in 2001.

PS: A huge shout out to my CFII who is also my age and kept pushing and prodding and cajoling every time I threw up my arms and wanted to quit. Now it’s time to go bust some clouds!

Latest posts

Back