• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Ammeter issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotPete

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday when checking my pitot heat current draw, that my ammeter is not showing the correct load.

Embarrassing as this may be, I never really paid much attention to the actual amperage readings before, just looked for changes when things were turned on/off to confirm that they were working.

Background:

PA32R-300 Lance
EI VA-1A digital volt/amp meter - has intenal shunt
Set to 12V - reads voltage correctly (batt and alt)
Load current with engine on ~0.7A
Load current when pitot heat turned on ~1.2A
So that would mean 1/2-amp for the pitot heater - don't think so!

The pitot mast and pressure mast both get hot - just replaced the and tested the heaters individually so I know they're good - expect to see ~16A on a 20A breaker.

Checked the wiring at the back of the VA-1A and it has two large (#4 AWG?) cables attached to the two lugs (as it should). Circular connector with power/signals is also looks fine.

First thought is that when the VA-1A was installed, the old shunt wasn't removed, so only part of the load current is going through the meter.

Did a search today and couldn't locate a shunt, but haven't traced the wires completely from stem to stern yet.

Any thoughts as to what's going on?

I presume that before this device was installed, the ammeter on the engine cluster was used. Does it require a shunt, or do the heavy wires from the alternator get connected directly to it?

Latest posts

Back