• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Altimatic V, nee Bendix FCS-810 dives on level-off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Aztec has the above autopilot. The manual says to use it, 1) turn on autopilot master switch, then 2) use the pitch thumbwheel to center the trim needle on the AP control panel, and then 3) press "AP Engage" and then 4) rotate the pitch thumbwheel to the center detent. This unit was overhauled just before I bought the airplane, but if I follow the above, upon engaging the A/P the airplane always immediately descends about 200' before settling on an altitude, which it then holds reliably. At the suggestion of another Aztec owner I tried it without centering the needle, but it still does the same thing. I plan to experiment some more with it today, but any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Latest posts

Back