• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

almost resigned myself to new paint, then a miracle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlrussell

Reaction score
I bought my six knowing it had weak paint but it had AC and a nearly new engine. I spent over 25 hrs of all combinations of compound, rubbing, buffing....I bought an expensive machine buffer. Nothing worked.

3 weeks ago I bumped into a guy who was an RV detailer he gave me a tip that now seems like a miracle.

I really did not want to paint my six anytime soon as it it on there like iron. Best I can tell it is epoxy. I had two shops tell me to live with it until it needed it because there is no corrosion or significant chipping, both said it was epoxy.

Here is the result of the RV guys tip. I don't have representative pics of the before, trust me it was a 6 at best. The tip was a very specific floor wax. Zep hi-solid ultra gloss . I imagine any good outdoor rated floor wax would work but it was ridiculously easy to put on. This Zep hi gloss was made for outdoor use so no yellowing. Took a while to get the application right but once I did I could do the entire plane in 2 hours easy.

Don't buy a gallon like I did as it will last forever you use very little. YMMV but works great for me.

I waited 3 weeks to take the pics and flew about 6 hours in that time. 10-15minutes with of very light precip.

2014-12-07 13.42.23.jpg

2014-12-07 12.45.00.jpg

2014-12-07 12.44.29.jpg

Latest posts

Back