• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Adventure of a VFR pilot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDoc

Reaction score
Here's a story of my weekend. Yesterday was my wife's birthday and I made plans to fly to Newport RI for the day. Sunday was to be a complete rainout and that cancelled earlier plans to spend the whole weekend in bar harbor Maine. I did a couple weather briefings Friday night and Saturday morning and best they could forecast was the bad weather was not to move in until 11p - 3a local. I decided we would leave for home at 6p.

Newport was beautiful. Around 80* and few clouds. We biked from the airport to downtown, had lunch and biked the cliff walk (which by the way has some parts that are just boulders, hence the name 'walk').

View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1465171112.890888.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1465171137.719514.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1465171157.488622.jpg

Time to go, get back to the airport and pre flight under beautiful blue skies. Back taxi on runway 16, skin the plane and see a wall of fog on the coming across the airfield (I did another weather brief in the FBO before pre flighting). Announced I'm taxiing back to the ramp and why.

View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1465171432.872814.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1465171456.512697.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1465171480.274391.jpg

I have a cousin who lives in providence so I call her and tell her I want to buy her dinner. Of course she had to come get us. A trip to WalMart and target for supplies and clothes, changing in the car and off to dinner. This is turning out to be a blessing in disguise.

View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1465173710.594851.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1465173719.326478.jpg

We stayed over to Sunday and while out adventuring today we ran into another cousin and my aunt who was visiting him. Crazy small world. Off to lunch and catching up. I'm one of 11 grandchildren and life is so busy for everyone we can't all get together. It was great seeing everyone.

View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1465173998.926531.jpg

Tonight as write this we are bumming the guest room one more time and making dinner with my cousin and her housemates. Waiting for the weather to pass. This is what our piper has given to us. A chance to spend time with family even though it wasn't planned.

View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1465174397.182388.jpg

Latest posts

Back