• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

74 PA-28R-200 gear fails to retract

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hindsight2020

Reaction score
Chasing electrons here. Started with gear in transit light won't go out, pump goes out normally on the up cycle as seen by the ammeter. That hinted at one of the three up limit microswitches not triggering or closing properly. Gear down indications and operation was normal.

Poke around the wells, all looks normal/dry, try it again and now placing the gear selector in the UP position does nothing. No pump activation. I always use the auto-extender override to get the gear going since I don't like waiting on it to trigger on its own, but this time selecting the override didn't trigger the pump UP cycle. So stuck flying around with gear down three greens. First world problems LOL. So now I'm wondering what could be causing it.

From my understanding, the squat switch has to trigger before electrical power will be allowed to go to the pump for the UP cycle. But it appears there are also components to the auto-extender system that can affect the up cycle? I've always had to use the override to get the gear up since it takes an inordinate (for me ) amount of airspeed for the gear to trigger up on its own. I guess we'll see what can be replicated on the jack stands but just wondering what other than a faulty squat switch, could be causing the gear to not trigger the UP cycle electrically.

Any feedback appreciated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back