• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

396 and cash for 696

deejayel

Reaction score
Do you wish you had your 396/496 back? I've done some panel reaaranging and now have panel space for a 696 gizmo mounted.
I have a 396 gizmo mounted and would like to trade.

Or do you have a 696 for sale?

Thanks

PaulR

Reaction score
Go for the 796 with more features and can be mounted vertical or horizontal with gizmo mount.

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Definitely get the 796, vice the 696.

* Orest

gpwaters

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you send a photo of your mount. I want to do the same. Did you change auto pilot?

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The 796 in a Gizmo mount, it takes up the entire co-pilot radio stack, and yes it is a practical location for viewing. This was done at the time that the whole panel was redone.

Not sure what you mean by changing the autopilot. The 796 cannot drive an autopilot.

* Orest

PaulR

Reaction score
Orest

Whats the scoop on the IFD-540/440 from Avidyne and wondering when you will get your upgrade you ordered from Avidyne? I am on the fence on Garmin versus Avidyne and hoping they get it done soon and looking for feedback before I decide on my panel upgrade this fall and looking for some feedback before I commit but still leaning towards Garmin unless Avidynne blows them away with some features or price edge and dont think thats going to happen.

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The in-aircraft hands-on "MPSUE" (Multi-Pilot System Usability Evaluations) FAA testing was completed the week prior, they are having to wait for the resultant list of comments, as the head of that FAA group is on holiday until the 1st. I have been closely following the progress reports, and it is very refreshing to be able to chit-chat with the VP for development. There is a to & fro discussion. The other day he was taking suggestions for voice alerts, and a few suggestions I made were accepted! All their voice alerts are a real person's voice, rather than synthesized. He really liked my Boeing Banana suggestion as well, but that won't make the first release. This sort of openness seems unprecedented. Every Thursday at 5pm EDT, there is an open webinar that anyone can attend ...

Avidyne IFD540 Webinar Thursdays

http://www.avidyne.com/products/Ifd540/

I would make a guess that they will get final certification by end of July/early August, that would be sweet to announce at OshKosh. The Pilot Program testing of the certified units will begin immediately thereafter. Perhaps six weeks from there, that would make it the Fall, the first general availability units should start shipping.

I have done everything I can (and so has my dealer) to try to get in the Pilot Program, and I wouldn't be surprised if I did. You can bet I will share my impressions widely, but of course respecting any non-disclosure that may exist.

Very, very exciting. It is so close now.

* Orest

Last edited:

gpwaters

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my haste, I thought it was a GTN 725. Thank you for the great information. Pat

PaulR

Reaction score
Orest

I don't know but looks to me like Avidyne is 6-12 months out before you will see it in the first version I thought, and should be interesting what they show at OshKosh this year and sounds like they are still inventing there dream version. See if you can get a beta version for free installed in your plane as I am thinking they still winging it with no hard date for the product and keeps getting extended. I am going with a Garmin GNS-750 for my panel upgrade this fall as I don't think Avidyne will be able to deliver the drop in replacement they keep saying they will do and appears they have some issues as they keep extending the delivery date to the next quarter in the year and getting old.

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twelve months is very unlikely, based on what I've seen and heard on the Avidyne forums. Their early shipments will probably be largely committed now, so anyone looking to buy now might have to wait for Santa. If your firm time frame is this summer, then sadly you would need to look elsewhere. August certification is not going to happen it seems.

And, there is no "beta" version. Their Pilot program involves units that are fully certified, code complete, and all company for credit testing done. It lasts about a month, and then there is general availability.

For anyone interested, you can follow the discussion on this public forum ..

http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=238&title=ifd540-certification-status

Here is the latest informational post ...

... a few major milestones to get through before we can spike the ball. You should consider measuring us against these remaining milestones to get a sense of the higher and higher confidence date. Those remaining big milestones are:

1. Receive, and react accordingly to, the FAA-generated MPSUE assessment of the unit. This will likely drive some code changes but we won't know the magnitude until we get the official list from the FAA;

2. Achieve 100% DO-178B Code Complete status. This is well beyond "feature complete". DO-178B "Code Complete" means we've finished all the code review and requirement tracing of the code per the FAA-recognized software standard. We can't finish this until we know the code is done changing. Note that we're done with all the changes on our end, we're just reacting now to any mandated changes;

3. Officially declare DO-160 Hardware Qual testing to be complete;

4. Achieve "Red Label" status on the combined hardware/software system. This means that all formal for-credit software and hardware testing have been completed. In other words, this is a submittable-for-cert system;

5. Complete official company "for-credit" flight testing of the final submittable system;

6. Complete FAA TIA (Type Inspection Authorization) testing. This is the FAA's final exam of the complete system before they sign off on cert.

7. Make our final submissions to the FAA of 100% of the certification artifacts.

We do consider this to be end-game of the program. Some of those activities typically last only a matter of a few days (e.g. 5, 6, 7) and some take several weeks to get through (e.g. 2, 4).

S. Jacobson

Last edited:

Latest posts