• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

1983 Turbo Saratoga using more oil then I would like

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

83Saratoga

Reaction score
I purchased my Saratoga about 9 months ago though only got it back from the avionics shop 4 months ago. I have put 75 hours on it since, but it has been using a lot of oil and oil pressure has been going down just a bit since I have been flying it. I am keeping the oil level at around 9 quarts, which reading from other people might be to high. If I put it at 9 quarts it will be a quart low in about 2 hours. It has also been spitting out oil through the breather tube quite a bit, as well as spitting it out once I have put it in the hanger. The other concern is the oil pressure was was fluctuating from between 66-63 PSI on my JPI at 75% power, but has recently dropped to between 62-58 at 75% power. This is still in the green for oil pressure as my bottom oil pressure is 55. If I back the power off a bit to 65% the pressure will go back up. I am running the cylinders at about 400 degrees and EGT at about 1550 which is about 100 degrees rich of peak. When I bought the aircraft they had been running Aeroshell 100 in it and I switched to Phillips 20-50 because I had used that in my other aircraft. If anyone has some ideas, or thoughts that would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back