• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

1977 Piper Lance manual

frankiep73

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve a 1977 Piper Lance which, of course, has the big (takes up space) 8” x 11” manual. I’ve seen where manuals for other, and newer, manufacturers makes and model airplanes produce manuals in the old Jeppesen, 5” x 7” size manual.

Does anyone know if there’s a company that makes the Jeppesen size manual for my make/model airplane?

Thanks and safe flights ...

mrdan27611

Reaction score
You could always scan and reprint I suppose. I have a Lance as well and only the Encyclopedia Britannica would be bigger. It would take a while to scan and reprint, but then you'd have a scanned version you could keep handy as well which would be nice. Print shops will do scans for you for a fee.

boyd8885

'79 PA32RT-300T
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I scanned in my Lance manual using my HP all-in-one with an auto doc feeder. It didn't take much time. One chapter per file. I then just use the scanned in copy on my tablet and keep the "big book" for back up (and ballast...). The manual is literally at my fingertips when I fly (yoke mount).

frankiep73

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Having the manual installed on, say, an iDevice will work, as we do on the 777, and 121 is different from 91 (although I can’t image why). But, would FSDO accept the downloaded version of the manual in lieu of a hard copy? That being said, I can’t see why not as long any pertinent document(s), Like current weight and balance, upgraded radios, auto pilot, etc., are incorporated into the uploaded manual. Now, I do have a call into my local FSDO office but they’ve yet to return my call after three days.

boyd8885

'79 PA32RT-300T
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have separate files for my updated equipment list, the latest W&B, supplemental AFM stuff (eg. Aspen E5), and the like. Also a spreadsheet to calculate and graph w&b and other useful etools.

I also have all that on my phone as a backup. The screen is rather small, but... just in case. I never asked, just assumed that form factor was ok, as long as you had all the stuff. (Paper charts?)

frankiep73

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have separate files for my updated equipment list, the latest W&B, supplemental AFM stuff (eg. Aspen E5), and the like. Also a spreadsheet to calculate and graph w&b and other useful etools.

I also have all that on my phone as a backup. The screen is rather small, but... just in case. I never asked, just assumed that form factor was ok, as long as you had all the stuff. (Paper charts?)
boyd8885, Thanks for the info. BTW, if you’re ok with it, I’d like to see your spreadsheet to calculate and graph w&b. PM me?
Thanks again.

Latest posts