• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

1965 piper cherokee 140

datorres88

Daniel Torres
Reaction score
Probably sell it as a rebuildable. Parting out would take a long time and require a lot of disassembly effort. Based on all the response on your other thread about wing repair I would think that someone might be interested in getting the wing repaired or replaced if the rest of the plane were priced right.

65cherokee140

Reaction score
Hard to come up with a fair price I have someone possibly interested locally for $7000

datorres88

Daniel Torres
Reaction score
I saw on the other thread that someone asked if you ever contacted your insurance company. It may be covered. If so, get it repaired and sell it for a better price.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hard to come up with a fair price I have someone possibly interested locally for $7000
A place to start is to determine the value of the engine and prop.

Even if valuing them just as cores for overhaul, the engine and prop likely have several thousand dollars of value between the two.

A parted out complete nose gear, unless it's corroded junk, is worth a couple thousand dollars. Just a pair of nose gear torque links typically sell for $500. Nose gear fork $500. And I have not even considered the chrome strut and it's cylinder, nor the nose wheel itself.

Main wheels and brakes are worth several hundred dollars, minimum, unless they are corroded junk. Chrome struts that are not beyond their service limits have value, as well.

Wheel pants and wheel pants mounting hardware are highly sought after, as are ram's horn yokes, if you have them.

Perhaps electric trim servo? Auto pilot servo and parts?

A good stabilator goes for at least several hundred dollars.

And you may still have one good wing to sell.

Last edited:

65cherokee140

Reaction score
Insurance is no good first time in 35 years that my uncle pulled the insurance to save some money

JimC

Reaction score
There's a left wing on Barnstormers for $1500.
Have you considered just replacing the wing rather than repairing or parting out?

datorres88

Daniel Torres
Reaction score
Insurance is no good first time in 35 years that my uncle pulled the insurance to save some money
You mean he pulled the insurance entirely? Not even keeping Not-In-Motion coverage? So sorry. I hope all works out. I think you should consider getting a used wing to repair at minimal cost prior to selling. Might be worth it. $2K + maybe another $3K for installation and you should be able to get at least $20K for the plane. Better than selling for $7K.

JimC

Reaction score
Daniel is right.
Art Mattson replaced both wings on Juliet, using a set of wings from a wind damaged 140 that he got from me.

Last edited:

Latest posts