• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WTB: Private Pilot course

Raptor05121

Mooney Apostate
Reaction score
First lesson is tomorrow

So I am WTB a used (and priced appropriately) DVD PPL course. King, Sporty;s, ASA, etc. Just don't want to spend $200 on a DVD.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
First lesson is tomorrow

So I am WTB a used (and priced appropriately) DVD PPL course. King, Sporty;s, ASA, etc. Just don't want to spend $200 on a DVD.

You don't necessarily need to buy a DVD private pilot course.

I suggest you start with two books:

1. Get a brand new, up to date ASA private pilot question and answer book for $16.25 from here, or similar retailer:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/599

2. Get a used private pilot textbook from Amazon, such as this Jeppeson for $40.77:

(This one happens to be the 2007 edition.)

Guided Flight Discovery: Private Pilot https://www.amazon.com/dp/088487429X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You will learn a lot while flying with your instructor that will help you start answering the multiple choice questions in the ASA private pilot question and answer book.

For the questions you can't answer you will need to reference and study from the Jeppeson private pilot textbook.

Also, you may want to search for a used DVD private pilot course on eBay. Get the newest edition that you can, preferably no more than 5 or 6 years old.

View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1421404842.999625.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1421404868.661560.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sourdough44

Reaction score
Good advice above. To make the most of the time with an instructor, write down any questions along the way and ask them at a brief.

I would read as much as you can pertinent to your current training before you brief and fly.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Does "Flight Training" magazine still exist as a free monthly publication for student pilots?

It had good short articles of interest to student pilots.

Last edited:

raymos

Reaction score
Does "Flight Training" magazine still exist as a free monthly publication for student pilots?

It had good short articles of interest to student pilots.
The first 6 months is free.

I have the Gleim course books if you want them for the cost of shipping. I started the online study subscription in July of 2013 and it is good until July 2014.

I think the set cost me around $125 new.

What are the other students / CFIs using at your school?

Last edited:

voretaq7

Reaction score
You don't necessarily need to buy a DVD private pilot course.

I suggest you start with two books:

1. Get a brand new, up to date ASA private pilot question and answer book for $16.25 from here, or similar retailer:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/599

2. Get a used private pilot textbook from Amazon, such as this Jeppeson for $40.77:

(This one happens to be the 2007 edition.)

Guided Flight Discovery: Private Pilot https://www.amazon.com/dp/088487429X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Definitely agree on the test bank book (it's a crappy way to study, but knowing what's going to be on the test is a real advantage!)

For actually cramming the knowledge into your head I'd forget the Jeppesen book and pick up a copy of the Airplane Flying Handbook (free PDF from the FAA). I've got both, and I actually like the FAA's book better.

If you're more of a "visual learner" there are a bunch of excellent ground school videos on Youtube as well (if you're having trouble finding one that covers a specific topic let me know, I'm good at finding things like that).

Last edited by a moderator:

arkvet

Reaction score
Passed my written about a month ago. Did all the sportys videos which are good but honestly not the most efficient way of learning imho.

I also bought the asa 2015 book that has already been mentioned. That book alone will just about guarantee passing the test. It's going to take you a while to work through each section and answer all the questions. After reading the book take a practice test... Then another. You'll know long before you go to the testing center how you're going to do. There's so much material to absorb when leaning to fly I think studying "for the test" is perfectly fine. I learned a lot during the process and have continued to build on it every day since.

Asa 2015. Read the book and do the practice questions. Take practice tests then take the real deal. You'll do fine.

Raptor05121

Mooney Apostate
Reaction score
The first 6 months is free.

I have the Gleim course books if you want them for the cost of shipping. I started the online study subscription in July of 2013 and it is good until July 2014.

I think the set cost me around $125 new.

What are the other students / CFIs using at your school?
PM sent.

There is no "school". Its a guy at a grass strip with an airplane. The way its supposed to be. :D