• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WTB MX 170b or equivalent

FlyCanadianGuy

Reaction score
I have a loaner kx 170b atm while I wait to see if my MX is fixable. Loaner belongs to the avionics shop, so cant keep it, but if my MX is serviceable will keep it, if not than yes I will take whatever I can. Sorry to keep everyone in limbo as I wait from the avionics shop.

hish747

Reaction score
I have a loaner kx 170b atm while I wait to see if my MX is fixable. Loaner belongs to the avionics shop, so cant keep it, but if my MX is serviceable will keep it, if not than yes I will take whatever I can. Sorry to keep everyone in limbo as I wait from the avionics shop.
Good luck with the MX. Let me know if you want the KX170B if it doesn't work out with your MX.
Btw, where in Canada are you? My inlays are in London, ON and we visit several times a year.
Hish

FlyCanadianGuy

Reaction score
Grande Prairie Alberta. Lived in Markham ON for years before moving out west. London was a nice college town back in my younger years [emoji3]

kf6iat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was having problems with my radio several years ago, MX170B, and sent it back to TKM Avionics for a look see.... They had it about a month, but called when it was being worked on... they found a few questionable solder connections on the power connector, replaced a few components that they knew had a higher failure rate, and tuned it up!... I think it was about $375. for that service.

After I found the broken wire at the microphone jack, down to a few strands of wire, the radio has worked perfectly.. I did also get a Kx170b off Ebay, that worked, as a backup, and was going to install it as a 2nd radio, but have not yet. Hope that you also have good service and get the radio back in great working condition. I like it and woudl keep the MX170 as a 2nd radio when I get that new GPS / COM unit....

FlyCanadianGuy

Reaction score
I was told by another avionics shop that TKM doesnt service the 170b anymore. He did mention bad solder joints as most common failure. Will call TKM today and verify they dont work on them anymore.

FlyCanadianGuy

Reaction score
Talked to TKM. They service the MX 170b with serial number 5300 or greater (back 15 years) any older and they will take it on trade for a new radio with $450 off the new radio.

kf6iat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talked to TKM. They service the MX 170b with serial number 5300 or greater (back 15 years) any older and they will take it on trade for a new radio with $450 off the new radio.
Mine just made it into the mix... S/N 5680... Hope you find one that works for you, I think they are a good radio. even the new Mx170c seems to be a good price point for an old school nav/com.

hish747

Reaction score
Grande Prairie Alberta. Lived in Markham ON for years before moving out west. London was a nice college town back in my younger years [emoji3]
I still love London, my wife is UWO grad. I'm having deja vu of a conversation I had a couple of years ago with cdnemsguy who's also in Grand Prairie. My mother in law owns Ramona's Pizza. I've never seen anyone use as much cheese as they do!

Latest posts