• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Working with SCAT tubes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierrakilo99

Reaction score
I posted in another thread that I would show how to safety wire the ends of your SCAT tubes to keep the wire coil inside from unwinding and the tube losing shape.

Once you've got your tube cut to length (I like to use a harbor freight chop saw with a metal cutting blade in it) clean out the tube for debris and then:

Use the thin/small diameter stainless safety wire (0.020") and poke it thru about 1/4" in from the end of the internal wire coil. Pull half thru and then poke it thru again from the inside, overlap the wire coil at about 45 degrees, then bring both ends of the safety wire thru the outside and overlap each end of the safety wire by 45 degrees on the outside.

Pull it thru then repeat at least one more time, ending up with the open ends of the wire on the outside, twist, fold flat, done.

sk

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

Latest posts

Back