• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Who runs performance numbers on every flight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been flying for over 30 years now and know how easy it is to fall into the complacency trap. I wonder how many other low land GA pilots are still using their performance charts after they have passed their PPL check rides? When I owned and operated a 135 operation we were required to have W&B and performance data for each revenue flight but when operating as part 91 flight we never did.

I own a, new to me, 1979 Dakota and keep it hangared at a sea level elevation airport that has a 2500’ strip with obstacles on both ends of the runway.

I’m not generally concerned with the runway length given the performance of the Dakota. However, when I’m taking a full load of people, fuel and dealing with density altitude due to summer heat it’s nice to know the expected performance numbers before launching into the air.

I look at this from two aspects. One, is the plane capable of getting into the air and clearing obstacles safely given the airport and runway environment? Two, is my engine and plane performing as it should, aside from the cursory glance at engine instruments on T.O. roll, to get to Vr compared to what was determined on the performance charts?

I leave a healthy margin of error since I know that my abilities and plane will not match that of what is stated in the POH.

Also, my eyes aren’t what they used to be and I for one get migraines when trying to follow the small lines for the various performance charts in the POH. So I went looking to see if there was an app for the Dakota and sure enough there was.

On a recent flight I added the app to my flight planning procedures and decided what I was seeing was possible but fell out of my comfort zone and therefore elected to modify the W&B. On that particular take off I had something happen which required me to return to the airport. In retrospect I’m glad that I decided to modify the W&B since I really didn’t need the extra stress and workload of “am I going to clear those obstacles or not.”

When I purchased the app from the App store it only came with T.O. performance charts for 0 degree of flaps. I reached out to the developer and asked if he would consider adding T.O. performance charts for 25 degrees of flaps as well. Since the Dakota is not as popular as other Piper models the app hasn’t had a lot of downloads. So there wasn’t much financial incentive to update the app compared to the work required to add the ability I was requesting. I decided to sponsor the upgrade to the app for my own benefit but also hoping it will benefit other Dakota owners and pilots.

The app can’t technically be used for actual flight planning due to liability issues but I’ve known too many pilots who didn’t take the time to consult their performance charts and suffered consequences, in some cases fatal. Maybe they didn’t consult their performance charts due to complacency or maybe it was due to the time it takes to follow those small lines in the POH, we will never know.

However, given that many of us are now using iDevices in the cockpit, these type of apps seems like an obvious addition to our EFB for our safety and peace of mind. The app takes less than 5 minutes to run the performance charts for an entire flight, from take off, cruise and landing.

If you are interested in the app I am using you can find it in the iOS app store under the developers name: Geronimo, LLC. The developer has many makes and models, aside from Piper, that are currently available.

::Note, I am not getting compensated or have any affiliation with the app developer::

Thank for your for your time.

Latest posts

Back