• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Weak Airspeed Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourdough44

Reaction score
I got back from a trip near Charlotte, NC today, 14A 'Lake Norman' to be exact. The trip went fine, a few bumps here & there but no issues.

We did a windy takeoff from a KY fuel stop, gusty pretty good. Once somewhat stable in the climb I noticed the airspeed lagging with reference to power setting and nose attitude. I didn't want to alarm the non-pilot right seater. The cruse altitude crosswind was also rather strong, but the speed was off when ball-parked with GPS groundspeed.

It was 30-40+ MPH slower than normal on the indicator. After an hour I commented to the passenger the speed was lagging, I mentioned a possible plugged pitot orifice. We landed in WI where he departed in his truck.

I still had a 60 mile trip home. I got some fuel & got around to checking the pitot blade. Low and behold a bug from KY was perfectly impaled over the hole. It could not of been more evenly spaced over the hole. It may of been a common household fly. I should of took a picture before I removed it.

Once removed the airspeed was back to normal for the trip home. I had never hit a bug in flight that blocked the pitot hole, just thought I'd mention it.

Latest posts

Back