• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Wanted - 1973 Piper PA-28-180 Challenger

whemme

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a nice 1973 Piper PA-28-180 Challenger. Contact me at email whemme(at)earthlink.net with details if you have one for sale.

icarus

Airport Bum
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You have good taste!

I love my '73 challenger.

Hope to get it back from paint here soon!

Paul

flyguydon

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Flying Monkey will be selling his shortly. Nice plane.

HammerinHank

Reaction score
What's the Differentece between a Cherokee 180 and a Challenger ?

killrocks

Reaction score
What's the Differentece between a Cherokee 180 and a Challenger ?
The year built mainly. Each year various things changed but for 1973 Piper hung the "Challenger" moniker on the Cherokee 180, the "Charger" moniker on the 235, and I don't remember what they called the 140 even though mine is a 1973 lol. "Cruiser" I think?

whemme

Reaction score
Actually there are major differences. The wing span was increased by 2 feet and the width of the stabilator was increased by 3 feet which changed the feel of the aircraft and glide ratio noticeably. Also, the fuselage was extended I believe 10" giving more leg room for rear passengers and luggage space.

jruhnke

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Actually there are major differences. The wing span was increased by 2 feet and the width of the stabilator was increased by 3 feet which changed the feel of the aircraft and glide ratio noticeably. Also, the fuselage was extended I believe 10" giving more leg room for rear passengers and luggage space.
Fuselage stretch number is hard to nail down. On the forums, people commonly say "five inch stretch". Between the Piper 180E and Challenger POHs, the fuselage length is listed as going from 23.5' to 24' (six inch stretch). In the Cherokee Tribe book, the '72 -180 is listed with a length of 23' 4" and the '73 at 24.0 (eight inch stretch). I've never seen a source that indicates there was a 10" change.

At any rate, the stretch was first introduced with the '73 (Challenger) model, and however much it was it's very noticeable for backseat passengers. No effect on front-seat folks, though.

Last edited:

miemsed

Reaction score
I own a 73 piper challenger. There is more room in the back so that a person can sit in the back seat behind me and still have room to put their feet on the floor with my pilot seat all the way back. I rented a Cherokee 180 before I bought my 73 challenger 180 and there was not that room in the back.

My Challenger has the Hershey bar style wing and my understand is that in 74 piper went to the tapered wing and called it the archer.

All that said the Challenger 180 is a great plane, relatively low maintainance and we fly it all over the country. With the exception of the Rockies, no desire to fly over or through them. Eastern mountains and anywhere else in the country, we have been with no issues.

jruhnke

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My Challenger has the Hershey bar style wing and my understand is that in 74 piper went to the tapered wing and called it the archer.
The 1974 and 75 models were called the Archer I and were essentially the same as the Challenger (all had the longer (Hershey bar) wings, stabilator, and fuselage).

The Archer II was released in 1976 with the tapered wing, and a new model number: PA28-181.

The Warrior was the first Piper model to receiver the tapered wing, and that did happen in 1974.