• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Upgrade options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntschmandt

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I currently own a 180HP piper warrior which I absolutely love, but I have finally outgrown it, and I am thinking about upgrading, mostly because I would like something faster. I have 180 hours, a complex and high performance endorsement, and am more than halfway through the instrument rating.

The VREF for the warrior is $40.5K, I think it can get $45K. I can put in about $15K more into the upgrade.

My mission is occassional cross countries with me and friends, as well as making a trip home everyone once in a while (Chicago-Texas), reasonable cost would be great.
I would also really love to take the plane over the Atlantic sometime (have a lot of family in Europe), but that is at least a year off.

I am open to either singles or twins, definitely would want the plane to be in good shape.
I would really appreciate any advice from people about:
How much extra expense a is a twin over a single, really?
What options make the most sense given my budget and experience? So far my list is:
Piper Comanche
Mooney M20F or M20J
Twin Comanche
Seneca

crossed off the arrow because it is just too much slower than the mooneys
crossed off the Cessna 210 because it seems to be a maintenance nightmare
crossed off the Aztec because it just burns too much fuel

Would really appreciate any experienced advice, right now just trying to narrow down the options! Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back