• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Unexplainable loss of com

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALPHA320

PA-28 Pilot
Reaction score
Hi,
on my planned trip yesterday I experienced something strange, that has never happened to me before. I was taxiing out for depature with two pax on board when the message "Push-to-talk button stuck" was shown on our GNS430. I checked but didn't find anything abnormal. After run-up I was cleared to line up and was asked for an immediate take-off as two airliners were already behind me on final. That was the last message I recieved, suddenly all coms failed (We have a GNS430 com and a Benedix/King). Nothing worked. The GNS showed me I was transmitting but I wasn't. I verified more than once but the micro wasn't stuck. Then set squawk 7600 and vacated the runway where I was already awaited by a marshaller who got me back to the stand safely.
However after the occurence my instructor and me checked both com systems and did not find anything. Everything was working fine and the quality was also good. He told me that maybe a cheap headset one of my pax on the front seat had may have caused the problem. It was travelling with me several times in the same aircraft and I never had this problem before. So I find it hard to believe...

What do think about this?
I have already ordered a new set of headsets but I find it really strange...

Latest posts

Back