• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Turbo Lance II Pilots, looking for tips/tricks for transition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klr94ss

Advanced Aviation Reno
Reaction score
I'm looking to transition from a 66 Cherokee 6 300 into a 78 Turbo Lance II. It is a T-Tail and has the improved cowling with intercooler. I've flow it once now (need 25 hours for the insurance company), and I find it very heavy during takeoff and landing. I think I need to much more aggressively trim the airplane aft to get rid of the heavy controls. I am waiting till 80KTS to rotate and flying Vx for the first 400 feet and then 95KTS VY to 1000 AGL and then trimming to enroute climb. Pattern at 95KTS and 80 over the numbers and then pulling full power. I'm just shocked how heavy it seems to feel compared to the Cherokee 6 that was the same weight, just not a T Tail.

What sort of GPH burn do you guys see on climb out? I was seeing 30GPH at 33" and 105 knots on enroute climb, it felt like I was on the rich side but I didn't want to mess with fuel till at cruising altitude. Cruising at 65% I was burning 16 GPH at 170Kts true so that seemed correct for this plane with it's speed mods (gap seals and tips). I do have a great instructor along with me but he has limited Turbo Lance time and I was just looking for additional insight from those of you who have flown these a lot.

Latest posts

Back