• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

True Air Speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkallen

Reaction score
I was traveling a couple of weeks ago at 12,500 feet, 22F and had a good tailwind over South Dakota and Nebraska. I didn't think much of it at the time, but got to thinking about Vne after reading some letters in the March Aviation Safety magazine (I need to find the reference article in Jan issue if I still have it). I had a TAS of 150-155 kts in my 180. This is the first long haul I have done in my plane since my speed mods and I have not approached this speed before. I have seen 140 KTAS, but not any speeds this high before. Since Vne is 171 MPH, the question I have is: Was I exceeding Vne? An instructor friend of mine that has been teaching since about 1974 said no I didn't since I didn't exceed IAS. I have looked in all my books and my AFM and I am not so sure This is not specifically addressed in any of the educational material I have. The AFM just says "Airspeed Limitations". The explanation I was reading in Aviation safety was basically a CYA response: "When confronted with 2 different values for Vne. expressed as IAS or TAS, we'll take the safer one every time." Using that as a guide, maybe I need to throttle back a little. :D

The arguement I am thinking of is exceeding Vne may cause flutter to occur if exceeded due to the air flow over the wings is excessive. In the thin air, there is really not as much air flow over the wings, so flutter should not be an issue in the thinner air.

Latest posts

Back