• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Trouble with FAA ? - Grounded -

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptTH

Reaction score
Recently I've two Av30-C installed in my plane and Vacuum pump was removed.
My installer submitted 337 to San Jose FSDO and his assigned FAA person does not approve the removal and asked my installer what's the reason for removal of the vacuum pump.
Well the reason mentioned and filed was "Because there is no system in the plane left that requires air/vacuum pump operation".
FAA guy doesn't find that reasoning enough... and this is what they send back to my installer as response to his 337 filing...

You will need to give me instructions and the reference for removing the Vacuum Pump system permanently. I have reached out to the engineering department at Uavionix and Piper. You can call Piper and ask for guidance here. Your contact is xxxx xxxxx whose phone number is (xxx) xxx-xxxx ext. xxxx. She may be of assistance to helping you with acquiring the proper documentation to remove the vacuum system. I will need a letter from the factory or viable source with instructions that outlines the removal of the vacuum system. The instructions must include any modifications to the airframe. Also, include a statement from the engineer that the vacuum system is not required and is safe for operation. Once we have that approval from Piper you can submit your revised 337 with your instructions and make a logbook entry into the forms.

He wants me or my IA to contact the Piper factory Engineering Department and get a report from them saying yes PA38 can fly without vacuum pump after installation of 2 AV30...
But that's not all..
He also wants us to get another report from Piper Engineering Dept. indicating that my wingtip light upgrade to Whelen Orion 600 model does not effect the safe operation of PA38-112...
Do you guys went thru this kind of BS when you upgrade your legacy anti collision lights to newer model LED ones?

I am basically grounded until this guy signs me off and he doesn't show any sign to do it without pushing us more and more into an uphill battle...

My installer is an A&P/IA doing this kind of installations almost every week and he is a traveling guy goes airports to airports in CA and OR... He is saying that this is the first time an FAA guy ask him to provide this kind of supporting documentation for the same job he performed over and over. He says all other district FAA guys approving the same process with no question asked.
Is it my luck or what?
So, I am frustrated and sitting at home and wondering if anyone of you guys went any of these kind of troubles just for LED light upgrade or removal of Vacuum pump?

Latest posts

Back