• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

the value of VFR flight plans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's not about dissing anything, more an acknowledgment of the limitations of an outdated technology; if you even want to call a form that basically says I'm going thataway a technology... Unfortunately, without a viable ELT signal, or an actual lat-long location the chances of a successful SAR mission is mostly a matter of chance. Personally, I want more.

If you are serious about being found in the event of an accident I recommend some or all the following:

* Install a good 406 ELT with GPS interface.
* Carry a SPOT, or similar device that has the capability to send at least short text messages.
* Carry a Sat phone.
* A portable 406 PLB and a handheld VHF radio w/extra batteries. If you are a floatplane pilot, carry these in a double ziplock bag so it will still work after you fish it out of the water.
* Monitor the local ARTCC sector frequency, not 121.5. In the case of an actual emergency, you will be able to contact most any IFR traffic in the area, even when sitting on the ground. Everybody on an IFR flight plan will be on the area center freq, darn few will be monitoring 121.5.
* And of course tell people, at both ends, where you are going.

In addition, you need to have adequate supplies to survive the wait for rescue, but that is a different matter, I was only referring to the usefulness, or lack thereof, of ye 'ol VFR flight plan.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back