• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Tell me about top OH's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Airtime2

Reaction score
Still in the shopping/research mode but have pretty much decided on a old Cherokee. Initial cost is a consideration and there seem to be better deals on 150hp versions. I'm in training now and my wife says she won't fly with me til I have a few hundred safe hrs under my belt. One thought is to buy a 150hp then when it's time to do engine work upgrade to 160hp. Of course if a good 180hp just happens to show up on the market when I'm ready that would be nice. I have a feeling most of my initial flying will be alone or with just one other person on board. A 150hp will be fine for that while building hrs.

How many hrs can the bottom of a periodically run 0-320 last? A 0-360?

What if I find one of these 2 engines that's 1600 smoh and was topped 700 hrs ago. Assume it was run often enough and internal rust is not an issue.

When might it need another top job? On a top job do you always replace pistons and jugs or is there such a thing as a cleanup bore and re-ring?

A 150hp can be upgraded to 160hp, right? Besides the paperwork, what's involved? Is it bigger jugs/pistons?

Can the 160hp engine be upped in HP? To what and how?

Feel free to answer any questions I didn't ask as well.

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back