• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Summer pilotage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

David Megginson
Reaction score
Beautiful 1:30 summer VFR flight this morning at 2,000 ft MSL (1,000–1,800 ft AGL), a bit outside my local area, using only pilotage (finger on the map, eyes outside the window). Autopilot remained off, and GPS stayed on a terrain display (since it was a bit hilly).

I'm proud that I have the training and equipment to fly in the IFR system with the big iron, but sometimes it's nice to know that our PA-28s are still small and slow enough to fly the way the Cub aviators do—follow the river until a town in a recognisable bend, then pick up the power lines and stay north to avoid a glider area, then follow the highway that the lines just crossed, then spot the destination airport right where it's supposed to be.

Beautiful hills, streams with rapids, etc, all along the route, and looking out the window so much, I don't miss anything.

Latest posts

Back