• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Strange Autopilot Power Up Procedure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveColangelo

Reaction score
I was getting checked out in an arrow yesterday at a new flight school and the instructor taught me one of the strangest auto pilot procedures I have encountered, I was wondering if anyone else does this, IMO its unsafe.

Preface, its an Arrow II with an Stec-55X

Anyway:

We started the engine up as usual and were waiting for the oil to warm up programing the GPS and getting ready for the flight. I went to turn on the auto pilot and begin the test procedures as per the POH when the instructor stopped me. I told him I was going to run the pre-flight AP tests and his response was

"I don't even power up the autopilot until Im in the air"

I was pretty taken aback but most of the stuff I generally fly does not have an auto-pilot so in an attempt to learn I asked him why he adopted that procedure. His response:

"In case the autopilot does something wonky on takeoff and you cant override it"

while I get where he was coming from and my assumption is that this likely happened to him once I was very un-sure of the whole situation and it did not seem correct. The POH is developed for safe operation and not testing an AP prior to takeoff seems like a pretty strange thing. For that matter engaging an un-tested autopilot in the air seems even more dangerous....

Does anyone else do this? Has anyone else encountered someone who does?

Latest posts

Back