• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Should Manifold Pressure ever move opposite to throttle movement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtlesfly

Reaction score
Just got my plane back from annual, and hadn't noticed this before.

Do a ground run-up, starting at idle. The MPs are around 15 inches. As you increase the power levers, the MP actually goes DOWN, and then, as you keep pushing the power levers up, the MPs almost seem to "catch" and then they go up with throttle movement. After the run-up, the situation happens in reverse: the MP goes down as you pull the power levers back, until you get toward idle and then the MP actually goes UP by a few inches. I never noticed this before -- but then again, coming out of annual, I'm watching everything like a hawk.

Is this normal engine behavior?

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back