• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

re: power reduction after takeoff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff K

Reaction score
Not a fan of punishing the thread when people can't behave themselves, so I'm still going to respond since I appeared late to the party. I also happen to own a twin PA23-250 (Aztec)

Some people (raises hand) like to keep the throttle wide open and just keep climbing to cruise alt, others pull back as per POH and then slowly increase throttle as MP gets lower during a (read slower) climb. Unless the wise folks on here can comment otherwise, I don't see the purpose in reducing the throttle when in a minute you're just going to push it back in. I've always learned if a cable is going to snap, it will do so during adjustments. Why make an unnecessary adjustment?

My hand is raised also.

I climb at Vyse (about Vx with both turning) till about 500 feet then by the time I am at 1000 feet I am at Vy (120mph in my Aztec). I continue to push the yoke forward until I see 135mph indicated and it stays there until I reach cruising altitude. WOT and full RPM which is 2575 in the Aztec.

The only adjustments I will make is to start to pull the mixture back starting around 3000 feet.

At cruise after I adjust things and get the autopilot engaged, I'll back the MP down quite a bit along with the RPM before I do the big red knob pullback to go LOP. Then I will start to push the throttle forward to WOT at the same time working the mixture back more to keep me out of the red box. I typically cruise about 50-55% power 3-6" oversquared and considerably LOP. Then the cowl flaps get closed and fuel pumps shut off. I'd say the only time I am not WOT is during landing and the brief time I'm transitioning between ROP and LOP. Or if there is noise abatement.

I don't have GAMI's but literally I can use the mixture as a throttle when LOP and when I descend that is what I do until I start to get ready for landing (<2000 AGL).

Climbing at full throttle means you get to your cruising altitude more quickly as well.

P.S. I flew my carb PA32-260 the same way. This is what the inside of the exhaust looked like when I removed the muffler.

LOP_PA32.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back