• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Preparation for extended cross country trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip around the perimeter of the US next June in my '71 Arrow. My buddy and I will launch from MD, head up through New England, across the northern border, down along the Pacific coast, across the south, down to the FL keys, then back up the Atlantic coast. As of now, our planned route is approximately 6,700nm; 56 hours flight time using historical winds. We're both working stiffs without large vacation budgets, so we're planning on only 10 days for the trip. The main goal is to see the USA from the air, and touch down in the four corners of America.

My annual is due in July, but I'm planning to move that up to have it completed before the trip. Plan to ask my mechanic to use an extra-fine tooth comb as he goes through the plane. And of course we'll launch with a fresh change of oil.

Any other preparations for the plane I should consider before we go? Anything special you would recommend I bring along, other than the usual small tool kit, extra oil, etc.

Finally, I was contemplating removing the rear seats for extra baggage room. Is it legal for me to do this myself?

Thanks for any advice,
Pete

Latest posts

Back