• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Pre-buy on PA-28-236

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertNomad

Reaction score
I am trying to buy a plane in Texas and fly it home to Nevada. It is a 1979 PA-28-236.

My Prebuy mechanic said:

1. Mag check (L) 210 Rough, (R) 150 Smooth (400 hours on the mags)

2. Aileron and Flap Gap seals not fully touching control surfaces.

3. Evidence of fuel leaking (stained) around R/L caps.

4. Oil pressure hose from engine to firewall tube mfg 12/04 and stiff.

5. Oil cooler pressure and return lines mfg 1st qtr. 2004 and stiff.

6. Fuel lines from electric pump to engine driven pump and engine driven pumb to carb. mfg 1st qtr. 2004 and stiff.

7. When pained in 2010, no log reference to having rebalanced the control surfaces before reinstallation.

8. No 337 for control gap seals install.

9. SB 1244A "Aft Wing Spar Attach Fitting Inspection" no ref to having been done.

10. SB 1242 "Rudder Pedal Assembly Inspection" no ref to having been done.

Piper considers 9 & 10 to be mandatory. Someone on another forum suggested that 1006 is an important SB. Thoughts on these? My local mechanic considers any airplane from outside Nevada or Arizona to be suspect for corrosion. Firstly, the mags have to be sorted - maybe just a fouled plug but the top ones were ok - the others are being looked at in a couple days.

The airplane in question was refurbished (interior, paint, new factory remanufactured engine, glass) in 2010. Since then it has had about 600 hours put on it.

The avionics are good (530W etc) - all seem to work and it is very nice cosmetically. I just am concerned about corrosion as that would be a very big issue. My Pre-buy A&P said there is no sign of corrosion (no paint bubbling etc) as looked at when he removed the inspection plates. But he feels that SBs 1244A and 1242 need to be done.

Last edited: