• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Power curve chart from Lycoming (I)O-320 Operator's Manual

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

David Megginson
Reaction score
Since we've been talking a lot about leaning, CHTs, etc., I decided to share a scan of the chart from the Lycoming (I)O-320 Operator's Manual (PN 60297-16) illustrating the effect leaning on CHT, EGT, and power. This curve looks the same for all piston engines, but it's nice to have one specifically for the engine in the smaller Cherokees.

The chart can take a while to figure out, but the main point is that the standard advice (lean to peak EGT then enrich 50°F), according to Lycoming's own chart, causes the hottest CHTs possible. Max power (highest RPM) happens around 100°F on the rich side of peak EGT, at which point CHTs are already starting to drop noticeably.

320-power-curve.png
View attachment 320-power-curve.pdf

Latest posts

Back