• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Potential Tomahawk Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnPhotog

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm considering my first purchase and looking at a 1978 Tomahawk. I've been looking for a group of owners that I can tap into for info and advice and this looks like a good group.

I'm still doing cost of ownership analysis to decide if it makes sense for me to own right now.

Right now, I'm most interested in routine maintenance to be aware of, general costs of that maintenance, what others have done to save money as an owner, etc. I'm also interested in how strong the market is for Tomahawks so I have an idea of the resale potential down the road.

I'm currently a student working on my PPL, but I have a long aviation history (retired Naval Flight Officer). I plan to continue my training to get an instrument rating after building some time. I'm considering the Tomahawk to complete my training, build time, and do my instrument training.

The plane I'm looking at is a '78 with 8600TT and 200SMOH with a new prop. Good paint, good slightly worn interior that could use some work on the plastic. It has a good stack with two KX155 navcoms, and a KI209 VOR/LOC/GS in addition to a KI208 VOR/LOC. It also has ADF and LORAN, although the LORAN isn't much use here.

I'm in Colorado, so I'm a little concerned about the summer performance with the density altitudes we typically deal with. But for training, and local flying that shouldn't be too big of an issue. Just not quite what I'm used to since I'm training in a 210hp T-41C (C172E).

I'd love to hear from other owners about your ownership experience, what I should be looking at that is unique to the Tomahawk, etc.

Thanks!
Kalin

Latest posts

Back