• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PIREP: Spraying Anticorrsion into Wings with Harbor Freight parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My IA had suggested that I spray inside wings with anti-corrosion on a few occasions but I had been a little intimidated when I saw some of the sprayers (and the prices of those) at Sun n Fun so I kept postponing. Eventually, I picked up a Harbor Freight engine cleaning gun http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-cleaning-gun-68290.html that I thought might work. I first tested it by connecting to my compressor with the intake hose in a bottle of water to adjust the nozzle to a fine spray. That worked well. Next, I ordered a gallon of ACF-50 and talked again with the vendor at Sun N Fun. The ACF-50 was around $100 for the gallon. I do not know how the ACF-50 compares with Corrosion-X or the Boeshield. The ACF-50 vendor recommended using a light spray and said that a gallon should last at least 4-5 applications. They warned that you should not use it if you have an autopilot servo in the wings or at least cover the servo with plastic or aluminum foil. My servo was under the seat. Because the spray was so fine, I also invested in a harbor freight respirator http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-cleaning-gun-68290.htmlhttp://www.harborfreight.com/p95-maintenance-free-dual-cartridge-respirator-large-67727-7694.html and decided to wear safety glasses to avoid eye irritation. I used a stepladder that had a small paint shelf that was slightly taller than the wings and attached the gallon of ACF-50 to the shelf with a bungee cord so it wouldn't fall off. Having the ACF-50 higher than the wing allowed a siphon effect for the ACF-50.

This setup worked fairly well but I believe it would better by replacing the plastic intake hose with one that is about 3 feet longer. Also, adding an extension of another one to two feet on the wand would allow you better reach within the wing. Also, I would add clamps or zip ties to the plastic hoses to prevent leaks. The ACF-50 is supposed to be effective for two years. I plan to do it again in another two years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back