• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PiperAire (condenser door) Actuator Relay No Longer Produced - Help Please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, at the risk of sounding spoiled, the air conditioning in my newly purchased plane no longer works because the condenser door no longer closes which started coincidentally (or not!) during its annual inspection. The A&P is confident it is the relay that actuates the door, specifically the 'up' relay. It is Piper part #686-820, and Piper confirmed they no longer produce it. Where I need help my fellow members and Piper enthusiasts is while they check if a subsequent relay can be substituted (which I doubt and in any case I also doubt a response is forthcoming anytime soon), they proposed contacting a DER (Designated Engineering Representative) - does anyone have any experience with doing this? Does this allow an appropriate engineer to repair the relay? Alternatively, does anyone have a good lead on a salvage yard replete with PA-32s? :) The A/C is only important to me because of my toddler (and husky) and the searing summer heat. Thanks for any tips!

Latest posts

Back